009s Top ruin of Peru..........

Point, shoot, leave.
Stew Ingredient

009s Top ruin of Peru..........

Postby Agent009 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 pm

#1 Marcohuamanchuco

Marcahuamachuco -- in Quechua, "The people of the men with hawk like headdresses"

So here it is, my favorite ruin experience in Peru.
I have thoroughly enjoyed putting this top 10 list together, its brought back a lot of memories.
Im happy some of you like them, and hope it inspires more people to not only visit ruins, but to do the research that will make the site more fulfilling when you get there.
I digress.....

Well, what makes this place my favorite ruin in Peru?....
Everything.

This city was likely the preinca political, economic, and military center of south american culture. Inhabited for possibly 1000 years, it remained important after being conquered by the inca.....

Its located about 5 hours east of truillio near the town of Huamanchuco, which is a 20 minute drive from the ruins. The bus line that takes you there and back is called Hornio, or something similiar. They do offer a night bus. A collectivo runs from town past the ruins and will drop you. The road leading up to the site from the main hiway is an hour hike, which can be cut down by taking the obolivaius switchbacks carved out by the locals. The town of otuzco in between them is good for a few nights of small town andean life as well. There is another site near town that can be reached by a 10 minute mototaxi.

Info and a pamphlet can be had at the nice little museo/tourist center just off the square in town.

We stayed on the main plaza in Huamanchuco, the biggest in peru says my LP. We saw only 3 other gringos the 3 days there, all of them were peace corp, one of which told us they are called piscos by the locals. Each of them stopped us to find out why we were there. The town gets that little tourist traffic.... Which is tragic.
The town is wonderful, had the best rotisserie chicken evah, and an absolutely great market.
The women in this area had my favorite hats. Big white ones, with round tops.....
This is andean peru.

We were visiting the ruins on a sunday, which happened to be election day for the presidential primary.....
This event brought everyone out, dressed to the nines. A bonus was that the site is on the path to other communities, so locals were passing through all day. Some with herds of sheep, goats, and cows.... Almost all would stop to talk with us, and tell us how proud the were to have us there to see their land. It was quite humbling, and a far cry from being seeen as nothing but walking ATM machines by the people at most sites.

This site is free, there is no main entrance, no ticket taking, no snacks, no guides, no bathrooms, no touts......
Just a beautiful lady with a big smile on her face, watching her sheeep and making yarn as she waves and says hola.
We were given a free ride in an overpacked truck to the ruins, and again as it turned dark a free collectivo ride back, even when we offered to pay both times.
We spent nothing to visit these ruins.

The site is massive.... On a mesa 5 km by 500 meters that sits at 3200 meters, with views down 3 valleys. Total stategery.
As you enter the site you walk through the 1st set of buildings, along a plain, though a gate in an impressive wall, then out to 3 huge, multistory, double walled circular buildings. The largest is one of the most impressive stone buildings ive ever seen. While yes, its a lot of rubble, the stone work might not be at inca standards, there is no grand pyramid, but these buildings are amazing stacks of rocks. It must of been beyond impressive in its heyday.

As with many of the stone structures by various cultures in the andes, you can clearly see a line of rocks that stick out from the walls, im assuming to hold the floor for 2nd, or even 3rd story.

Much of this site has obviously been loooted for stones, much le55 treasure. As was common, many of the good stones were used to build the nearby town. There is still quite a bit left, but wow, this place musta been crazy. Little if anything has been restored. The only improvements are wooden braces to keep the walls from further deterioration. The site is actually used by locals to graze animals, while that does mean at certian times there are piles of mushrooms to be picked, it causes more degradation of the site as animals rub against, and walk over the stones.
(Machu picchu for example, has been undergoing restoration for over 100 years. Most everything you see is a recreation of what MP might of looked like, the buildings, landscaping, terracing.... All of it. Thanks not only to huge infusions of cash, but largely due to the fact most of the pieces of its puzzle were still there.... In other words, not smashed by the conquistadors.)

Anyway, if you want more history, click the wiki link or use google....
You are here for the pictures, not for my blabbing, soooooooooooooooooooo on with it!

These pictures simply do not do the site justice.
I dont feel they really show the size, much le55 the insane vistas that seeem to reach all the way to the coast on one side, and the amazon on the other.
Didnt get many shots of the main buildings.....
The videos ive attached show em better.
Enjoy!

These vids i made of the main buildings really help give a feeel of the place.....

Outside the main buildings.....

Inside the main building.....

Huamanchuco, the largest square in peru......

More history here.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcahuamachuco

Most excellent satellite view.....
http://binged.it/ZvKlGj

Super awesome kool interactive from the Global Heritage Fund..... Has other sites from around the world click this!
http://ghn.globalheritagefund.org/explore.php?id=1322

Major discovery of figurines at the site last year....
http://globalheritagefund.org/onthewire ... huamachuco

Heres the rest of the top 10......
009s Top 10 Sites 4-2
009s Top 10 Sites 7-5
009s Top 10 Sites 10-8
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Re: 009s Top ruin of Peru..........

Postby Agent009 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Dear mods......
Ya, i posted this on streeterville not only as shamele55 self promotion of my ruins threads, but also to pimp out the fact we do have a Travel Journalism branch for those that never get out of this part of the board.
Please post your stories, people!

Please move this over to the TJ branch were it belongs, when you see fit.
Thanks!

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Mon May 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Wow.
Thanks!
Hoping to get over to Peru next year after our Galapagos cruise if the budget allows
Are you fluent in Spanish,Agent?
That would be a concern for me going to such a place
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5q » Mon May 06, 2013 4:12 pm

cool trip, jack.
bodhisattva of sweetness, lite, and moist since 2001; dave_of_daves, whisperer_of_catsups

Vince wrote:
I'm never angry except with q5q who is a despicable abortion.

d&c
arbour zena: keith jarrett, charlie haden, jan gabarek, stuttgart rad orc

Something of Snowdon

Postby barbi01 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Judi, you don't have to be fluent in Spanish.

Nice pics, Agent. Thanks.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Im not fluent at all.... Which considering i just spent 2 years in south america is quite sad.
It just does not stick easy for me.
I do know a lot of words, but my grammar sucks, i dont always conjugate my verbs, and i only speak in the present tense.
But it works, and amuses the native speakers.

You dont need a lot of spanish skillz, but some basic tourist words and phrases would make things much easier.
At the bar i worked in la paz i found a lot of round the worlders who just came from india or SEA would struggle with the lack of english speakers in SA.

That said....
Dont let lack of spanish scare you away!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bondi » Mon May 06, 2013 5:05 pm

judik wrote:Wow.
Thanks!
Hoping to get over to Peru next year after our Galapagos cruise if the budget allows
Are you fluent in Spanish,Agent?
That would be a concern for me going to such a place

On the Lion and Seal Safari, in Bali, Jud insisted that all the porters spoke fluent English.
Minare ista pueris

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Mon May 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Stop following me around Patrik to sling out gratuitous insults
Thanks
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Awesome, i new by posting this over here i could get a unsolicited stalk or a feud going......
Thanks for not disappointing!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steveosports » Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Excellent travel thread.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 pm

This has been a really great series of OPs, thanks for sharing all the pics and the experiences.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 pm

great photos. Peru is simply fantastic and i am considering a return for a 3rd visit. In fact everywhere I have nbeen i SA is fantastic. i have not had a disappointing visit yet.

Agent, I visited some very interesting archeological remains in southern Colombia. Not is much knonw abuot them
by saheli » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:29 pm

"The nazis didnt shit in Warsaw Ghetto. They had dignity."

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for letting me play photojournalist here, peoples.....

Ya, the area and ruins near San Agustin, Colombia is amazing.... And would of made this list if i made it all of south america.

While the ruins themselves are not much at all, its the amount of amazing artwork in the form stone carving of humans and zoomorphic beings that are magical.

The major problem with a lot of ruin sites, especially precomlombian sites....
Most anything with so much as a carving on it has been boxed off and sent to a museum, and has likely just been reburied in a basement.......
Albeit, for safe keeeeping.
Which generally means there is just not much in the way of artistic stuff at the sites themselves to enjoy, which makes the places that still have some stand out.

Chan Chan and especially the Temple of the Sun and Mooon outside truilio, peru where hundreds of painted mud brick walls have been uncovered are amazing.....
One of them should be on this list, but someone had to be #11.

South America is amazing, i must go back.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Most anything with so much as a carving on it has been boxed off and sent to a museum, and has likely just been reburied in a basement.......

Not South America....but I went ot the Mayan site, Bonampak, in Chiapas and they had one of the few colored murals that was not hauled off to a museum

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Only because they couldnt find a way to get it out!

Same with yaxchilan..... (both these sites are 2 of my favorite mayan ruins)
The stone carving in the doorways are spectacular, and are what make that site more then just another pile of rocks, what makes it worth taking the boat upriver.....
If not for where they are placed, they would of been removed.
Last edited by Agent009 on Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 pm

That said, i was shocked how many nicely carved stones were still among the ruins along the puuuc route.....
And now that ive thought about it, there does seem to be a bit more artwork amongst the piles of rocks in the Mayan world....
Though tikal had nothing.
Maybe its a mexico thing?

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:53 pm

That said, i was shocked how many nicely carved stones were still among the ruins along the puuuc route.....

The wall of masks at Kabah was spectacular

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Fri May 10, 2013 8:16 am

I'm amazed that Jack left Ollantaytambo and Macchu Picchu off his top 10. He must be a tourist-averse tourist like me.

There are so many others too. Ancient cities on the Pacific Coast are a dime a dozen. A few are older than Sumerian cities. But they are mostly mud mounds now, Nevertheless, Peru was a source of civilization independent from the Old World, lacking only wheat, barley, sheep, goats, pigs, cattle and horses. I need to get there; I only know Peru from my archaeology mags.

The need for the control of water seems to be the cause for the first cities to form, which is why the oldest are in deserts. In order to control and distribute water in a desert you need to invent a government. Kings are the first option.

Thanks again, Jack.
IMPEACH OBAMA!

IMPRISON BUSH!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Dude, i had a lot of trouble getting it down to 10..... And honestly, if i made the list at a different time, it might change.
Olly is an impressive site, and the town, which is still laid out in a inca grid, with the houses still made of inca stones, with those oursome inca doors, is the bomb.
As is another sacred valley dont mi55, Tipon, with its amazing irrigation system....
I might make another thread with honourable mentions.

Machu Picchu is what it is.
The only advice i can give about MP other then whatever the rules say bring some food, is that once inside skip the huayna picchu hike (not that i bothered to que up with the ma55es to do it) and do the real hike, machu picchu......

And honestly, who wants to read another MP trip report, i SAF dont.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Lost Soul wrote:The need for the control of water seems to be the cause for the first cities to form, which is why the oldest are in deserts. In order to control and distribute water in a desert you need to invent a government. Kings are the first option.

While these are all true, i think that part of it is that the climate has changed.
'Theory' is, areas that are now desert in northern peru had more temperate climates 5000 years ago, even 2000.....
The coastline was further out as well.

Same goes for other parts of the world.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 pm

Agent009 wrote:Dude, i had a lot of trouble getting it down to 10..... And honestly, if i made the list at a different time, it might change.
Olly is an impressive site, and the town, which is still laid out in a inca grid, with the houses still made of inca stones, with those oursome inca doors, is the bomb.
As is another sacred valley dont mi55, Tipon, with its amazing irrigation system....
I might make another thread with honourable mentions.

Machu Picchu is what it is.
The only advice i can give about MP other then whatever the rules say bring some food, is that once inside skip the huayna picchu hike (not that i bothered to que up with the ma55es to do it) and do the real hike, machu picchu......

And honestly, who wants to read another MP trip report, i SAF dont.

Nice shots!

How does the trail go up Huayna Picchu? It looks pretty cliffy.
IMPEACH OBAMA!

IMPRISON BUSH!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:57 am

Im not sure how it goes up that, but it does look steeep, im sure its all stairs.....
Its supposed to be much easier than the MP hike.
The MP trail i toook to take this picture was over 2 hours, at least for me, up stairs. There are lots of warnings about it being difficult, and at the top i saw only 3 other people.
It totally kicked my a55.
I was at MP an hour after it opened, and i was forced to leave, and left on the last bus out.
I was so tired i wanted to puke.
If you dont leave a site like MP or marcohuamanchuco exhuasted, you did it wrong.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Sun May 12, 2013 2:34 am

Agent009 wrote:Im not sure how it goes up that, but it does look steeep, im sure its all stairs.....
Its supposed to be much easier than the MP hike.
The MP trail i toook to take this picture was over 2 hours, at least for me, up stairs. There are lots of warnings about it being difficult, and at the top i saw only 3 other people.
It totally kicked my a55.
I was at MP an hour after it opened, and i was forced to leave, and left on the last bus out.
I was so tired i wanted to puke.
If you dont leave a site like MP or marcohuamanchuco exhuasted, you did it wrong.

You must have done it before you sold booze in La Paz.

What is MP, 9,000 feet?

Done at the end of your sojourn you would have waltzed up.
IMPEACH OBAMA!

IMPRISON BUSH!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Totally.....
Though when i got to la paz i had been at over 7000 feet for about 4 months, it was still a rough 1st 3 weeks there. I would be outta breath tying my shoes!
The hostel i worked at was 5 stories with the roof terrace, and of course i lived on the 4th.
I could run up all of them by the time i left 6 months later, though i would be a bit winded.

MP is 8000, its actually lower then cusco. Huayna picchu is just under 9000, and cerro machu picchu where i took these shots is at just over 10000.
Marcuhuamanchuco sits around 11000.

Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Postby Electrolyte » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:44 am

I agree that Olly and Macho should be in the top 10, but then we wouldn't have learned about two other great sites.

There are also a couple of good sites on the Inca Trail, like Winona Ryder.

There are masses now waiting to climb up Huayna? Wow, I had it good just a decade ago when I hiked the trail without even making a reservation. Not crowded then.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 am

There are masses now waiting to climb up Huayna? Wow, I had it good just a decade ago when I hiked the trail without even making a reservation. Not crowded then.

IN 2004 I could make a walkin reservation and the trip cost on avg $2000

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:18 pm

I agree that Olly and Macho should be in the top 10, but then we wouldn't have learned about two other great sites.

You are kinda right..... There is no neeed to put up yet another review of them.
And, part of this was to tell the story of le55 visited parts of Peru.

But honestly, i rank Olly higher, and on anther day, it could make my top 10.
MP would not even make my top 20 of all precolombian ruins.
IMO even the piles of dirt at Cahokia Mounds in east st louis are more impressive.

The most amazing part of MP, is the line to get in, and the marketing that created it.

There are masses now waiting to climb up Huayna?

If i remember right at HP they let 200 up at 7am, and another 200 up at 10am.... And the spots fill up before the park even opens.

By 11 it was almost like visiting Itza, it was amazing how many people were there, and they just. kept. coming.
This is when i did the MP hike and missed most the ma55es.

$2000!
I didnt spend that much in the entire 3 1/2 weeks i was in the sacred valley!
Of course im a dirty backpacker we cut corners, like not taking the train back to Olly from MP, we went the back way out to the power station, then took combis to cusco. It was like 25 bucks total.

We digress.....
This thread is about Marcohuamachuco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:29 pm

Oops! $200, I mean. not $2000.
I used Andean Life and I think my cost in the end was $190. That included everything. SAS was around $240. I carried my own pack, so I did not need a private porter

Postby Electrolyte » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Agent009 wrote:If i remember right at HP they let 200 up at 7am, and another 200 up at 10am.... And the spots fill up before the park even opens.

Wow! I really did get there just in time. I feel like James Bond escaping the evil villain's hideout just before it blows up.

Agent009 wrote:By 11 it was almost like visiting Itza, it was amazing how many people were there, and they just. kept. coming.

Just to make you all jealous ... I visited Iza in 1970. We had the place pretty much to ourselves. I think there was no entry fee.

In 1971 I visited Italy. We went to see the Sistine Chapel. No line. No fee. We just walked in. Not even very crowded.

Our kids will be lucky if they get to visit the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Agent009 wrote:$2000!

We did the IT for about $1,000 for two people (4 days 3 nights) and that was a "luxury" private tour.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:56 pm

In 1971 I visited Italy. We went to see the Sistine Chapel. No line. No fee. We just walked in. Not even very crowded.

It was the same thing with me in 1980. There were no lines for the Sistine Chapel or the Vatican Museum. Italy was so affordable

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Im jealous of both of you.
While ya, these places, as most anywhere tourist, have gotten way busier over the last 20 years.....
There are still ways to visit most anywhere and avoid the crowds, it just takes a combination of work, planning, and luck.
Or/and it pushes you to do/see other things.

I feel lucky to of done my europe trip in 2001 *gasp*.....
The euro was there, somewhere, but all the currencies were dominate to use, the dollar was strong, crowds were thinner even then, and it was before 911, well, kinda....
It happened in the middle of my eurotrip, which kinda made it 2 different trips.
I digress, again!

Important discovery found recently at marcohumanchuco.....
http://globalheritagefund.org/onthewire ... huamachuco

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 pm

There are still ways to visit most anywhere and avoid the crowds, it just takes a combination of work, planning, and luck

It's called off season which would be difficult for anyone with school age kids. I would not want to do the Inca Trail off season, althoghb it si closed for 1 month then

The euro was there

The Euro made everything n sothern Europe that muhc more expensive. I returned to Italy on a 1 day layover in 2005 and was shocked ocver how expensive it was.

Postby Electrolyte » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Agent009 wrote:There are still ways to visit most anywhere and avoid the crowds, it just takes a combination of work, planning, and luck.

That's like adding new lanes to a highway. It helps for a while until traffic expands to fill the new lanes, and then there's no place to expand to.

First you had to pay a fee to visit the Sistine Chapel. Then they expanded the hours. Then they allowed for purchasing tickets online. Soon there will be no room left to add lanes. In 20 years maybe it will cost $500 to visit and you will have to reserve a year in advance.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Check this oarsome drone video.....
Not just of the ruins, but the sweeet andean town of huamachuco.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Kape » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:26 pm

Wow. Amazing. I don't think I'd seen this thread before, but I'm so glad I saw it now. Amazing pics and amazing reporting. Love it, thanks.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:31 pm

Kool, there is soooooooo much to see in south america.
The pictures are blowing up hugemungous now on my computer, not sure WTF.

Be sure to check the links in the OP to the rest of the top 10....
I had a lot of fun sifting through memories putting them together.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bill Barilko » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 am

Great vid-Thanks for posting and Yes South America is a traveller's wonderland.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:50 am

The photos are WAY TOO BIG.

Here's just one of them, chosen by me at random, and reduced to "message board" size by tinypic.com

Impressive even at a reduced size, and easy to see and absorb without scrolling back and forth and up and down.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:50 am

They were not that big when I created the thread soooo long ago.....
Not sure wtf happened.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Kape » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:36 pm

What mushrooms are those in one of the pics...?

Return to Travel Journalism