009s Top 10 Ruins of Peru, 7-5.....

Point, shoot, leave.
Stew Ingredient

009s Top 10 Ruins of Peru, 7-5.....

Postby Agent009 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:10 am

Yes, i changed this collection from top 10 of SA to the top 10 of peru.
I was only going to add one other site from outside peru, and i really didnt see a lot of outside peru, and this is my list, so i can do what evah i want......
So...

7 - Maukallacta
Nestled away in the deepest canyon in the world, Cotahuasi Canyon, are these amazing ruins.
Cotahuasi Canyon was one of the highlights of my trip. I could of, should of, still might, spent a month or more there, not just 10 days. This is real peru, with a bit of tourism, by a bit i mean there is a reason to go, but not much infrastructure..... No pizza shacks. I saw 2 other gringos while i was there. 1 i hiked with, the other was an eccentric that lived there off and on.
I actually stayed in 3 towns, Cotahuasi, hiked into Velinga, and took a combi to Alca. I visited these ruins from Alca. Stayed at hostel Alca. Be sure to ask for a room on the roof. Getting to Cotahuasi Canyon requires a long bumpy bus from Arequipa that arrives at 3 in the morning. Alca is a few hours away. Amazing hiking around alca, with other ruins. These arent hiking trails, these ancient footpaths still connect towns to the outside world. Here you can really get a sense of the irrigation system that has been in place for centuries, is still used, and is being improved upon today. From alca its a 4 in the morning 2 hour combi ride to Puyca, the ruins are above the town. This is a neat little town, that sees very little tourism. It had the most amazingly located football pitch ive ever seen, right on a point/cliff. You can see it in a pic, and from the satellite link.
Needless to say, i had this place all to myself, well myself and 100000000000 giant bee like things with big stingers. They really sucked. About the size of ping pong ball. They would come in, super loud, go back and forth, come at my mid section, then i would bat them away with my frisbee like babe ruth. I musta killed 50 of em in a few hours. They were not smart. When i got into the market in town and asked about the giant insects, everyone got a good laugh about it.
Anyway, this is a giant complex. Its thought to of been an administrative center, and a place of pilgrimage to honor a local volcano.....
I turned the ruins into a frisbee golf course, got smoked up, and played 9 holes. I shot 1 under.The most spectacular place ive ever thrown a game. Top of the world, a cliff away from the bottom of the world. Unfortunately, most my pictures of the site have vanished from my hard drive. Ive include a few others from Cotahuasi.

Photos from Cotahuasi Canyon....

Hiking from Cotahuasi to Velinga.....

Above Alca...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maucallacta
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=alca+peru ... +Peru&z=17

6 - Wari
Im not quite sure why i liked this place so much. I got a good vibe when i was there, it was a great day, and the views were awesome. I was staying in Ayacucho when i visited, which is a very nice town, and that likely added to my good spirits. It was about an hour combi ride from Ayacucho to the ruins. I got there about 10 in the morning. Off in the distance you can see a monument to the final battle the peruvians fought against the spanish. There was one other touristy couple with me on the combi to the ruins, then it was filled with peruvians being peruvians. Pretty much had the place to myself.
The Wari Culture is one of the most important in SA. Theory goes the 3 previous dominate cultures, nazca, tiwinaku, and the moche combine into the wari. The wari seemed to be peaceful, there are no signs that they spread their influence through war. The Wari built transportation networks, administrative centers, and dramatically changed the environment by introducing lots of terrace construction for agriculture. All of these things were reused/improved by the Incas, and essential to the Inca success.
The site itself is quite large, and it obvious that the surface has just been scratched. In every direction there were piles of rocks under the cacti. The 3 main temple areas have been excavated, seemingly by graverobbers..
POTTERY WAS EVERYWHERE!!!
Ive never seen so many broken pieces of pottery at a site. WOW. Some of it even had paint on it. There were lots of underground vaults, walls, and slabs carved out and built into boxes.
A great day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wari_culture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wari_ruins
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wari,+Aya ... u&t=h&z=17

5 - Sechin
This place is old..... Almost 3500 years, and just across the valley are ruins that are thought to be the oldest in SA, at 5500 years old!!!
Not much is know about the people that built this, cept they might of been a tad violent.

This was the last site i visited in SA. I hopped off the bus that was headed north an hour or so south of truillo. Looked around a bit for a hotel and decided that i didnt really wanna stay the night. It was about noon. Got a mototaxi to the ruins. There is a small museum at the site, it was dated, but had some neat pictures of other sites, the timeline of cultural history id seen what seemed like a million times. It was a bit underwhelming.
So, i walk across the street, and follow the path up the hill, get to the vista and look out across the rocks to the green valley, then to the dry rocks above it. Its impressive, and there is a small temple below me. As nice as it is, im wondering WTF i bothered to come here for. I bump into a student from lima, we match up and have a smoke.

So after a bit, we walk down the hill and check out the temple.......
WOW!!! The entire temple was lined with these awesome carvings!!!
100s of them!!!
Shamens and warriors dancing with body parts! Awesomene55.
I made a movie, and this is just part of the temple!

This place is amazing. It great to actually see so much art on site, most of the time it doesnt survive. The entire base of the temple is wrapped in these carvings. I can barely imagine what this place must of been like in its heyday.... All the artwork painted and finished, a complete temple surrounded by people, fire everywhere, piles of body parts.....
A great site to let your imagination run wild.
Heres some photos.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/cerr_1/hd_cerr_1.htm
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sechin+pe ... u&t=h&z=17
Last edited by Agent009 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Admin's Concubine

Re: 009s Top 10 Ruins of Peru, 7-5.....

Postby pezworld » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:17 am

Holy cow, those are so cool!
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bill Barilko » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:00 am

Wari looks best-like the look of dressed stone.

Are those mushrooms Peruvian Psilocybin?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:26 pm

I've seen this guy before somewhere, can't quite put my finger on it. At first I thought it was Homer Simpson, but it's not. But definitely a "separated at birth" picture. hmmm....who is it? Great photos, by the way. Really makes me want to go explore some of those less visited ruins and areas.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Nice. Theere's a wealtjh of ruins that predate theINcas by centuries. I visited some Wari ruins on a dy trip from Huarez
Korgy:
"it seems Israel wants Gazans to have no tunnels"

"I guess i shouldn't be shocked, given the whole "terror tunnel" mantra that has been successfully propagated by Israel"

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Love your photos! Thanks for sharing.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Pez - My thoughts exactly!

Bill - Yes they are. Check the pieces of pottery on the edges of the cow shit. Found tons mushrooms at another site to be covered later!

Steve - Well, with the proper coloring, he could be a new avatar for piel!.

Polar - There are piles of rocks. Everywhere!

Avalon - No problem!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 am

Fantastic!

I like every picture in #7 Makallacta except the one showing your shoes.

My favorite in #6 Wari has to be the arch made out of random rocks. Holy Crap! The Romans never did this. Oarsum.

Thanks for this, Jack. I've got a degree in Anthro from a good school, I'm a long time subscriber to several anthropology magazines, and I have never even heard of Muakalacin or Sechin.
IMPEACH OBAMA!

IMPRISON BUSH!

Stew Ingredient

Postby RandomThoughts » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:30 pm

enjoyed seeing these pics!
Self proclaimed TP wallflower

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:24 am

Lost Soul wrote:My favorite in #6 Wari has to be the arch made out of random rocks. Holy Crap! The Romans never did this. Oarsum.

The romans invented/had a real arch, and with that came the dome, some see those as key advancements that led to western civ......
If only the mayans, and/or other south american cultures could of came up with the keystone, its fun to think about what they might of been able to achieve.
Well maybe not exactly fun, but anyway....

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:36 am

Agent009 wrote:
Lost Soul wrote:My favorite in #6 Wari has to be the arch made out of random rocks. Holy Crap! The Romans never did this. Oarsum.

The romans invented/had a real arch, and with that came the dome, some see those as key advancements that led to western civ......
If only the mayans, and/or other south american cultures could of came up with the keystone, its fun to think about what they might of been able to achieve.
Well maybe not exactly fun, but anyway....

Actually the Romans pinched the arch from their northern neighbors and overlords until 500 BC, the Etruscans. The Romans pinched much else from the Greeks when they (Romans) conquered southern Italy, which was long filled with Greek colonies.

The Etruscans are an enigma to history. They have a non-Indo-European language for starters. Their pottery traces them to SW Turkey prior to 1200 BC, AKA the future Lydia. Except Lydian is Indo-European and so shares nothing linguistically with the former Etruscan inhabitants. The best guess is the Etruscans migrated as a tribe during the era of the "Sea Peoples" that ravaged the Med in 1200 BC; probably on pain of death by the Lydians. The bastards.

Ereich should start the requisite leftist emo march for those who are clueless of history. He could choose the Etruscans or their opressors the Lydians and still be anguished.
IMPEACH OBAMA!

IMPRISON BUSH!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Fair enough, i was just looking up the sea peoples the other night after they were mentioned on that new history channel show, Mankind the Story of All of Us.....
Which isnt a bad show, usual history channel flaws..... But its better then some lame reality show that has little to do with history, cept the fact they are about old/used/junk consumer items.

Etruscan stuff is koool, they played a big part in histroy, even if nobody can really figure out that much about them. The idea of them being some of the sea people seeem to work.

Wanted to add, that is a huge arch at Wari considering the building technique!

I want time machine.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:44 am

What were those perfectly formed planar stone tablets made from (Wari, I think)? It's a pretty stark contrast to the fieldstone work that surrounded them.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bill Barilko » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 am

rider5 wrote:What were those perfectly formed planar stone tablets made from (Wari, I think)? It's a pretty stark contrast to the fieldstone work that surrounded them.

Aliens !!

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:37 am

Obviously. I just wanted to see if agent009 would come up with some outlandish humanoid origin explanation.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 am

Awesome pictures! I certainly didn't see any of this when I was in Peru. I may have to go back. ;)
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Bill Barilko wrote:
rider5 wrote:What were those perfectly formed planar stone tablets made from (Wari, I think)? It's a pretty stark contrast to the fieldstone work that surrounded them.

Fixed that for you.....

My guess that that the walls around the big slabs, like in the following picture have been restored/rebuilt recently, and are different than back in the day. The rocks that are on the top of the walls were probably placed there to prevent further erosion. Walls could of been taller, shorter, had other types of construction on top. It says somewhere that the site was thought to have been covered in white plaster, which would of covered the simple rock walls.

Some of the walls around the area could be recently rebuilt as well to keep in animals.

northern_goddess wrote:Awesome pictures! I certainly didn't see any of this when I was in Peru. I may have to go back. ;)

Yes, it seeems you must return! Peru has sooooo much to offer.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:45 am

I was asking about the slabs, not the field stone work.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:14 pm

^ Guess i was just loooking for something i could kinda make up an explanation for!

My general feeling on how all this amazing stuff was made in the ancient world with minimal tools. Mayan temples, inca roads, angor wat, the great pyramids.....
When you have absolutely nothing else to do but carve and build with rocks, you get good at it, and can make some koool things.

Return to Travel Journalism